From the Desk of the Blogger

For years we have been hearing about the challenges for freedom in the face of globalism and conflict. This blog will explore the prospects of liberty and democracy in the context of immigration, education, diplomacy, philosophy and ideology among other interests and experiences of mine.

Cheers!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

What Does "Having Fun" Mean?

In the past few years as I have met people across the country and around the world through business trips, I often have to deal with being the youngest person there and the inevitable questions that come with the territory of being in those privileged situations. There is usually some surprise once I let them know that I am not 37 but actually not even 21 (I turned 20 in June).

After some talk about my experiences, I am usually asked a series of questions:
  • What are your plans after college? -- I have no idea right now. I do not like to worry too much about these things. In due time...
  • Do you plan to stay in Washington, D.C.? -- In the short-term, yes. I would like to return to Arizona for the long-term, though.
  • What do you do for fun? -- I have always struggled with this question; it stumps me every time.
I guess my problem stems from the stereotypes assigned to my age group. Because I do not "party" I clearly do not have fun. Because I do not know where to "get my party on" I am apparently missing out on what is truly fun.

I disagree. My notion of fun is quite different. I prefer going to dinner with friends, catching a movie, attending a cultural event, taking long walks, reading, writing, listening to music, etc. I do not need to go clubbing or go drinking to have fun. "Fun" is synonymous for getting drunk, taking vapid photos and returning home regretting a night of poor decisions. I do not do any of this. When I try to explain this to my interrogators, it is hard for them to comprehend.

I am not a "boring" person. I frankly do not want to put up with the baseless criticism. I am content with my life and life-choices. I am not going to judge anyone because his idea of fun is playing beer pong or playing video games. I hope that I do not have to be told how to have fun. What I do in my free time is up to me.

No comments: