From the Desk of the Blogger

For years we have been hearing about the challenges for freedom in the face of globalism and conflict. This blog will explore the prospects of liberty and democracy in the context of immigration, education, diplomacy, philosophy and ideology among other interests and experiences of mine.

Cheers!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Update: Summer 2009

As the fall semester approaches, I cannot believe how quickly the summer has gone by this year.  Overall, I had a great summer in the nation's capital with a few trips here and there. 

After classes ended, I took a brief trip to New York City to speak at a Georgetown fundraiser.  This was my first speaking engagement of the summer; it went well.  I always enjoy meeting with Georgetown alumni, donors, faculty and administrators.

The following week was commencement.  It was a bit overwhelming watching friends graduate and thinking that in two years I will be doing the same.  Regardless, it was a great ceremony. 

To keep myself busy, I took up a part-time job with the university summer conference department and continued at the office of undergraduate admissions.  I also kept up with political consulting.  Frankly, it pays better, and I enjoy it.

One of the nicer aspects of being in Washington, D.C. over the summer is being able to take in the city.  I visited many sights (here, Embassy Row and the National Cathedral), museums and cultural events.  Also, I now consider myself a foodie since I tried many of the city's diverse restaurants. One of the highlights was spending Independence Day overlooking the Potomac River and the National Mall.

In terms of high-profile events, I attended a reception honoring the new Israeli ambassador, Michael Oren, a former professor and good friend of mine. I also got to spend a day with His Serene Highness Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein, his wife Princess Margaretha and their son, Prince Josef during their visit to Georgetown. 

In late July, I took week off for a working vacation.  I say "working" because I was attending the annual Sister Cities International conference and concurrently running for re-election to the Board of Directors (I won with 89% of the vote!).  Overall, I really enjoyed my time in Belfast, Northern Ireland.  I was able to take in the Emerald Isle, her people, culture, cuisine and sights. 

Since my return, I have been quite busy wrapping up some projects and moving into my new townhouse.  I also spoke at the bi-annual convention of the Republican National Hispanic Assembly, which was a good experience.

This fall promises to be another great semester.  I am taking five courses: Chinese Politics and Domestic Priorities with Robert Sutter, Turkey in World Politics with David Cuthell (the original professor was recalled to Ankara to serve as a special adviser to the Turkish Prime Minister, go figure), Religion and Modern Politics of Iran with Shireen Hunter, American Responses to the Arab-Israeli Conflict with Aaron David Miller and Problems in Multilateral Diplomacy with former US Ambassador to the UN, Donald McHenry.  I also recently joined the editorial board of our school newspaper, The Hoya. Overall, Georgetown -- two years down, two years to go -- is turning out to be exactly what I wanted and more.  I will remain involved in the Chapel Choir as well.

Thank you for reading my update.

No comments: