From the Desk of the Blogger

For years we have been hearing about the challenges for freedom in the face of globalism and conflict. This blog will explore the prospects of liberty and democracy in the context of immigration, education, diplomacy, philosophy and ideology among other interests and experiences of mine.

Cheers!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Farewell 2007, Welcome 2008

What defines who we are? Humanity has struggled with this question for years. Is it our successes, our failures, our relationships, our aspirations?

In 2007, I tried to address this issue in the context of my own life. My transatlantic venture to the Czech Republic last January proved much more self-revealing than any other trip I have taken. Although I participated in an extensive conference dealing with international relations, I still managed to find time to enjoy the beauty of Prague and reflect on my place in life. One brisk winter evening while crossing the Charles Bridge, I came to the following conclusions:

High school and college have proved a dramatic metamorphosis in my transition to young adulthood. I have made exponential progress in my education and created enduring friendships. This is what has truly shaped me into who I am today. My commitments on campus and in the community challenge and propelled me to new levels. This underlying purpose to my life outside school gives me direction and responsibility. Unfortunately, this somewhat distances me from the people I care about most – my family and friends.

Relationships nurture our development and effectiveness in society. For me, I have made them a barrier. I am generally a very reserved person; it takes a great deal to gain my confidence. This is somewhat a defense mechanism, but I have found that it has worked to my disadvantage. Many of my relationships simply come naturally within my commitments and compliment my objectives. I have taken the initiative to become more open to others and feel comfortable in doing different things with different people. I hope to get to the point where I value my relationships more and their essential role in my long-term strength.

Reasoning is our ability to transcend, learn and grow. This capability to mature is what characterizes us as humans. At this point, foresight, vision and innovation are what drive me forward. I hope to never lose this quality and always use it to my benefit. My voracious hunger for knowledge inspires me to break from my comfort zone and into the adventure zone. I look to Winston Churchill when he said, “To be really safe and happy, a man must have three or four interests.” We must be able to take our experiences and absorb all that we can to make us better people.

Religion also plays a role in who we are. Now, this is not a manifesto for the Judeo-Christian God, but rather, a personal set of values and goals. It can definitely apply to faith, and how it fits into one’s life. However, I am referring to a deep commitment and sacrifice for success. This genuine drive and determination must be resilient regardless of the situations and what is at stake. What your passion is will be up to you. Find it and pursue it, never giving up and always putting one's best effort.

In essence, this is what I am calling the Doctrine of the Common Man. These three “R’s,” if you will, are a formula to assist in the evolution of a high school/college student to a responsible adult. It is amazing how a simple walk on a five hundred year-old cobble stone bridge inspired such poignant thoughts in me. Take some time to outline your mantra, cherish your friendships, and value your understanding. Remember to be flexible and yet steadfast.

My personal revelation was likely years in the making. This cathartic look at my existence made me realize what I value most. In our materialistic society, we tend to overlook the events, people and ideas that shape our personas. I now challenge you to find yourself and see how the three R’s apply to you.

No comments: